OVER 3000 HOCKEY LEGENDS PROFILED! SEARCH BY ALPHABETICAL LISTING

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T UVW XYZ

February 18, 2007

From Saving Goals To Saving Lives


The Vancouver Sun weekend edition (print only apparently, no web link is available that I can find) had this interesting tid bit:

Former Canucks goaltender Gary Bromley should also be up for an award after helping to save a man's life in Maui. The holidaying Vancouver firefighter was on the shores of Kanapali reading a book, when a body surfer from Dallas found himself in serious trouble. He was washed onto the shoreline and dragged back into the raging water in an unconscious state when Bromley raced to the rescue.

"I got him back to shore and made sure he was dry and applied what we learn as first-responder treatment," Bromley shrugs. "At that point a couple of other guys came to help me. I didn't do it all myself."

Bromley checked with the hotel where the Dallas vacationer was staying and was assured he survived the ordeal. The Dallas vacationer, to this day, has no idea who saved his life.
For a career profile on Gary Bromley, check out the article I wrote for the Buffalo Sabres Alumni Association.

No comments: